The Bintang Kidul Foundation was formally established in the spring of 2016, though it has been active and gradually expanding since 2010. The purpose and aspiration of the Bintang Kidul Foundation is to empower and enrich children and young people, who come from a very disadvantaged socio-economic background, to build a better life for themselves, for their family and for the community.
We believe that education and learning life skills, in the broadest and most holistic sense are the keys to building a better life. We believe that through better, deeper and broader learning and understanding of the world comes increased self-awareness, higher self-confidence, a well-structured mind and a big heart, as well.
Thus, the Educational projects through which we work, aim first and foremost, to brighten, to broaden and to deepen our children’s and our youth’s perspective on life to empower and to enrich them.
An overview of our educational projects:
- Academic: Our teams provide English, Javanese, French, home work support, reading, writing, philosophy discussions and support in all school subjects. We also teach and support children with learning difficulties.
- After-school Activities and Workshops: We offer music, drama, pantomime, drawing, sewing, toys and board games, books, film making, photography, food growing, traditional arts (music and dance) and hands-on workshops.
- Sports: Badminton (recreational and professional training). Our Badminton Club “Bintang Solibad Indonesia”, which is fully registered with the National Badminton Federation (PBSI) consists of 10 teams, 9 of which offer recreational or semi-professional training. Our professional team aims at helping youth with potential to become champions and/or International badminton coaches. Our good recreational players will, as they reach working age, have the opportunity to work with Decathlon Indonesia, the largest and most complete sports shop in the world, also our partner and sponsor, together with Solibad, a French Badminton NGO. One of our projects is also offering Indonesian martial arts, specifically Pencak Silat.
- Life Coaching and Specialist Therapy: When a child/youth experiences difficulties beyond our ability to help, we seek the help of professional coaches or specialist therapists
- Scholarships: We provide Elementary school (SD), Middle school (SMP), High school (SMK/SMA), Professional School and University scholarships for youth in extreme poverty. We also offer private tutoring and scholarships for Specialized Schools for children with profound difficulties.
- Medical and Good Health Support: We provide healthy meals, nutritional supplements and access to medical treatment.
- Visits and Travel: Our teams regularly offer traveling experiences and discovering of new horizons in and beyond Indonesia by bus, by train or by plane.